Getting Holiday Insurance


Autism, pre-existing Conditions and Special needs insurance

Most standard holiday company insurance policies will not cover pre-existing medical conditions, but there are specialist insurance companies that will do so. Before you get travel insurance you should get written permission from your doctor to travel. Always disclose any pre-existing medical conditions to your insurance company or you might invalidate your insurance.

The European Health Insurance gives basic reduced or free cover in Europe (replaces the E11) but you should get separate cover too.

Insurance for pre-existing conditions & SENs

Please check with your doctor before getting travel insurance. You might need written permission to make sure your insurance is valid - you won't be covered if you travel against your doctor’s orders.

Make sure you list ALL pre-existing medical conditions, you won't be covered if you don't and you'll invalidate any claim that you then make.

 From the 1st January 2006 you can use the EHIC to cover any necessary medical treatment because of accident or illness. If you are a UK resident, you are entitled to medical treatment that becomes necessary, at reduced cost or sometimes free, when visiting a European Union (EU) country. Only treatment provided under the state scheme is covered. However, to obtain treatment you will need to take a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with you. Please see the link below for full details.

For more information visit: EHIC or call 0845 605 0707

You can also compare pre-existing medical condition travel insurance at...

  • has teamed up with the top specialist travel insurance companies. Using their comparison tool you will be able to compare travel insurance companies that cover medical conditions as part of their policies.
  • Best Medial Cover
 They provide fast online deals and consider all pre existing medical conditions.
  • Travel Insurance GuideThis impartial guide compares all insurance providers in the UK in one place and advice on types of insurance (including policies for travellers with special needs)

The guide producers are working with the Foreign & Commonwealth Office as part of their 'Know Before You Go' Campaign to provide travellers with credible information and help them be better prepared for overseas trips.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office

 Travel publications The FCO have produced information about travelling disabled and much more.


See our Holidays & Days Out section to get inspired with ideas for everything from short breaks to dream holidays.

HOLIDAYS landing page

Look for specialist insurance providers and more info in our directory.

Sky Badger can also help you with...

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)


Find extra help at school, information about Education, Health, Care Plans (EHCP), apps & programmes, tech and IT for supporting learning and sensory activities.

disabled holidays uk

Holidays & Free time

Find holidays, sports, free cinema tickets, theatre, clubs, art, dance, music, days out, make a wish charities and more.


Useful technology & kit

Find sensory toys, useful technology, trikes and bikes, wheelchairs & mobility.

disabled grants


Find grants, governemnt benefits and help with your utility and council tax bills.


Legal stuff

Find out about disability rights, educational and medical law and how to find a specialist advocate or lawyer.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Medical stuff

Find information about your child's medical condition, medicines that they take and mental health support.