Disability Rights


This is where you'll find out about disability rights and disability laws supporting disabled and SEN children and their families in the UK. So if you have a child with special educational needs or a disability, you've come to the right place! This is where you'll find out about lots of ways that your child as well as  you as their parent or carer are protected under the law.

Your child’s rights are protected under an enormous array of United Nations rulings, conventions and Central Government acts. These are lengthy and complicated, but don't panic because we've attached links to everything you need to know below. It's a jolly good idea to know where you stand because your child life could be a lot brighter when you know what their rights are.

All You Need to Know About Disability Law...

  • Children's and Families Act 2014

  • Special educational needs and disability code of practice: 0 to 25 years 2014

  • Mental Capacity Act 2005

  • Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities

  • Welfare Reform and Work Act 2016

Disabled little boy in medical stroller or wheelchair

Your child should...

  • Be included in your local community and to do the kinds of things that non-disabled children do.
  • They should be able to take part in leisure activities and to express themselves in cultural/artistic ways.
  • They should be able to live with their parents, unless this is not in their best interests.
  • Have their views taken into account.

Below are links to the key legal rights you and your child have. Rather dry bedtime reading but incredibly important.  

You can also find lots more support and advice in other areas of your child's life including education, finance, medical information and freetime at the bottom of this page or by using the nav bar above.


This act is designed to reinforce wider reforms to ensure that all children and young people can succeed, no matter what their background.

The act reforms the systems for adoption, looked after children, family justice and special educational needs. It introduces changes to support the welfare of children.

personal independence payment

Click below to read the full version of the Children's and Families Care Act 2014.

A Young Person’s Guide

Click the link below to find a fantastic child-friendly version of the Children's and Families Care Act 2014.


Special educational needs and disability code of practice: 0 to 25 years

ks2 english

This Code of Practice provides statutory guidance on duties, policies and procedures relating to Part 3 of the Children and Families Act 2014 and associated regulations and applies to England. It relates to children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) and disabled children and young people.

Mental Capacity Act 2005

The Mental Capacity Act (the MCA) is the law which applies to decision making for people aged 16 and over who do not have the mental capacity to make decisions for themselves.

The film above has been produced by Autism.org.uk as a guide to The Mental Capacity Act.

Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities

The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) is an international legal agreement. It exists to protect and promote the human rights of disabled people.

The UK signed the treaty in 2009 – a commitment to promote and protect the human rights of disabled people.

disability rights

The Convention covers lots of areas including:

  • health

  • education

  • employment

  • access to justice

  • personal security

  • independent living

  • access to information


Welfare Reform and Work Act 2016

This act aims to...

  • make provision about reports on progress towards full employment and the apprenticeships target;
  • make provision about reports on the effect of certain support for troubled families;
  • make provision about life chances;
  • make provision about the benefit cap;
  • make provision about social security and tax credits;
  • make provision for loans for mortgage interest and other liabilities;
  • and to make provision about social housing rents.

legal directory

If you feel that your child is being treated unfairly compared to other children, or you feel their disability is limiting their life experience, then it may be time to seek expert help.

Looking for something else?

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)


Find extra help at school, information about Education, Health, Care Plans (EHCP), apps & programmes, tech and IT for supporting learning and sensory activities.

disabled holidays uk

Holidays & Free time

Find holidays, sports, free cinema tickets, theatre, clubs, art, dance, music, days out, make a wish charities and more.


Useful technology & kit

Find sensory toys, useful technology, trikes and bikes, wheelchairs & mobility.

disabled grants


Find grants, governemnt benefits and help with your utility and council tax bills.


Legal stuff

Find out about disability rights, educational and medical law and how to find a specialist advocate or lawyer.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Medical stuff

Find information about your child's medical condition, medicines that they take and mental health support.

Not sure where to turn?


Contact our helpdesk

Do you need specific help for your disabled or special needs child? Click here to tell us more about what you're looking for and our helpdesk team will do their very best to find you what you need. All of our advice is confidential and we will not share your details or personal information with anyone.