Finding you help with money

There are some huge savings that you should be making but if you don’t know utility companies and government schemes ​exist it’s going to be very difficult to apply.

Most funds are there to level the playing field and cover the extra financial help that your child needs. There are also oodles of grants that you can apply for to get your child and your family anything from a washing machine to a holiday to an iPad.

Download our Sky Badger "How to" guides

disabled grants

Personal Budgets

Personal budgets are an amount of money given by your Local Authority to provide support that’s been identified in your child’s Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This guide tells you how to apply and what you can use them for.


Applying for Carer's Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit for people who regularly spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a disabled child or adult. This guide tells you what it is and how to apply.


Council Tax reductions

Gives you the low down on three different types of council tax reduction you may be eligible for and how to apply: the disability reduction scheme, single person and low income discounts.

KIT educational gadgets and apps

Applying for a grant for IT and computers

This guide will help you through the process of finding the right grant for IT and computer adaptations, and then applying for it. It includes other options in case you aren't successful.


There are thousands of grants that will help you buy just about anything you can imagine for your disabled child, from bikes, to medical equipment to holidays.

The sheer number of foundations wanting to help can put your head in a spin. We've broken some of the main grants available for computers and bikes, trikes and holidays in three sections below. First, here is a little more about some of our favourites...

Types of Grants

disabled holidays uk

Holidays Grants

Many charities give grants for disabled kids to have a holiday or short break. Some grants are just for the child, some for their siblings too and others will pay for holidays for the whole family.

Each grant has its own funding criteria, so either contact us if you want help with the form or call them for a chat before applying. Sometimes you can apply for these grants yourself but sometimes like with the wish-making charities, you will need your disability social worker, health visitor, doctor or teacher to apply on your child’s behalf.


Grants for Bikes

Special needs bikes, trikes and wheelchairs can be hugely expensive, sometimes £1,000's! Sky Badger is all about levelling the playing field. Thats why we want to introduce you to all of these brilliant charities and foundations. They want to help you either buy what you need outright or part fund you child's new bike, trike, wheelchair or mobility adaptations.


Grants for IT

There are a number of charities that give grants for computer based technologies to support your child's needs. Your child might need extra help because they have physical disabilities or special educational needs and the right kit might make a huge difference to how they connect to the world.

Some of the grants help with communication aids and others will fund laptops and iPads. Some charities or companies also offer huge discounts on laptops and computers. If you can't figure out what your child needs, then you can find charities here that make adaptations or bespoke tech kit completely for free just for your child.

Do you know about all the government support you could or should be getting?

The government support system can be very confusing, but don't worry because help is available to make sure that you're getting all the benefits you should be. Make sure you check out our grants section too so you can find additional funding to meet your child's needs.

Disability Living Allowance

Need extra financial help to care for your disabled child? DLA can help, children on the Autistic spectrum can also be eligible for this benefit.

Disability living allowance (DLA) is the main benefit for disabled children under 16. DLA is designed to help you cover the extra costs that you might face because of your child’s disability. The range of levels is wide, from a little extra help for children with learning disabilities to severe disability both mentally and physically.

Direct Payments

Direct payments can be used for a variety of services that offer your child stimulation, new experiences and independence. This includes short breaks, nursery placement with specialist support for your child, assistance to attend an activity, and personal care.


Carers Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is extra money to help you look after your child if they have substantial caring needs. You could also get Carer’s Credit so there won’t be any gaps in your National Insurance record.

carers allowance

Telephone: 0345 608 4321

Personal Independence Payments

Read our step-by-step guide to applying for a PIP.

Blue Badge

Find out if you're eligible for a blue badge, how to apply & where you can park for free.

travel with autistic child

If your child is on higher rate DLA then you might be able to get a new car for free! Use the link below to see Motability's criteria  and to see what they can offer you to help you get around.


You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled or if you have a disabled child and need to make changes to your home.

Child Tax Credit

Personal Budgets

You’ll already be getting child tax credits if you have a child under 16 or under 20 in eligible education or training. If your child is disabled, you should be getting extra help. You could get up to £84 a week!

Help with your bills

Utility bill savings, insulation & adaptations

Having a child with additional needs can add to the costs to running your home and also reduce your income because of your caring responsibilities. Thats why there are lots of support systems in place to help level the playing field and help you support your child without worrying about how to pay the bills.

disabled council tax and disabled bills

Family Fund

If things get tough financially then the Family fund might be able to help. They give grants for essential items like washing machines, fridges and clothing. They can also consider grants for sensory toys, computers and a much needed family holiday. That's because they know how much difference a little help can make!


Gas & electricity bills

Some gas and electricity suppliers have set up funds that give grants if you're in financial hardship because of fuel costs. Your supplier will let you know what's available. Some charities, such as Macmillan, also make grants towards fuel costs. Even if you fall behind in your payments, you shouldn't have your electricity or gas supply cut off during the winter months. This is especially if your home has someone who is disabled living there or if you have a child under 18 living with you.


Cold weather payments

Check that you are receiving the Cold Weather Payment. You may be eligible because your child's disability. You’ll get a Cold Weather Payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded or forecast to be zero degrees celsius or below for 7 consecutive days.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Water bills

Some water companies can offer you help from their charitable trust schemes, so contact your water company for more information.

 The WaterSure scheme is available to families on certain benefits who have a water meter. It will allow those families to have their bills capped so they won't get a massive bill out of the blue. To find out more, have a look at the OFWAT website.

disabled grants

Council Tax Discount

You can get a discount on your Council Tax if your child needs extra space or an additional bathroom because of their disability. Your bill will be reduced to the next Council Tax band down. For example, a C property will be charged at a B rate. Even if your property is in Band A (the lowest band) you will still receive a reduction.

 Contact your local authority for more information.

Child Tax Credits

Priority service register

Energy providers keep a priority service register of disabled customers so contact your supplier and ask to be put on this register. You'll then be entitled to some services for free, including free annual gas safety checks, bills in different formats eg. large print and Braille, quarterly meter reading services and priority in an emergency.


Disabled Facilities Grant

You could get a grant from your local authority if have a disabled child and need to make changes to your home. For example to widen doors and install ramps, improve access to rooms and facilities like stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom. They could even provide a heating system suitable for your needs and adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use.


Warm Home Discount Scheme

You could get £140 off your electricity bill through the Warm Home Discount Scheme. This money isn’t paid to you but it is added as a one-off discount on your electricity bill. The discount won’t affect your Cold Weather Payment or Winter Fuel Payment either.


Need a new boiler?

You could get up to £1,000 towards the replacement of your boiler. Available to many home owners and tenants in England, Scotland and Wales. Energy suppliers will install a free replacement, energy efficient boiler in qualifying households.

respite care for children with special needs

Free insulation

If you’re in receipt of disability living allowance then you may qualify for 100% free loft and cavity wall insulation for your home. Insulation grants are provided by UK energy companies and are distributed to various schemes across the country.

Not sure where to turn?


Contact our helpdesk

Do you need specific help for your disabled or special needs child? Click here to tell us more about what you're looking for and our helpdesk team will do their very best to find you what you need. All of our advice is confidential and we will not share your details or personal information with anyone.