npower Energy Fund

Helps domestic customers of npower who are experiencing hardship and struggling to pay their gas and electricity bills regain a hold on their finances and become financially stable with the ability to meet future bills.

Special Kids in the UK

Online support group for families of disabled children with special needs. The aim is to bring families together for friendship, to share information and to support one another. Advice on education, services, therapies, respite and other issues.If you care for a disabled child, you and your child may be entitled to some financial assistance and concessions to aid with the increase in living and travelling costs.

Vehicle Excise Duty

You may be entitled to a free tax disc if you have a disabled child. To be eligible, you must get the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance.

VAT Relief

You don’t have to pay VAT on certain goods and services that you buy

If they are to be used exclusively by someone who is disabled – a wheelchair or adapted computer hardware, for example. Certain building work can also be free of VAT.

UK Power Networks

They keep details of their most vulnerable customers on a Priority Services/Special Needs Register. Although this won’t necessarily mean they can restore your power more quickly, they can offer you additional help and support if you do experience a power cut.


Sense is a national charity that supports and campaigns for children and adults who are Deafblind. They were established from a family support group in 1955 by parents whose children were born with rubella, and the experience, skills and views of families remain central to their work. You can see how they have developed over almost 60 years on their website. Sense offers high-quality, flexible services across the UK, using skilled staff and a dedicated network of volunteers. They work with a wide range of Deafblind and multi-sensory impaired people, as well as those who have a single-sensory impairment with additional needs. They work with children, young people, adults and older people with a progressive sight and hearing loss, offering a range of housing, educational and leisure opportunities. They also offer support to all Deafblind people in both the congenital and acquired Deafblind communities, not just those who receive direct support and services from them.

NHS Personal and Household Finance

This site contains information on the help you can get if you have a low income. Help includes cold weather payments, which can be paid to you or the person you care for. Payments for your gas, electricity or water bills can be made directly from some means-tested benefits through schemes called Fuel Direct and Water Direct.

Online benefits calculators

You may also be able to get extra financial support if you already receive or are eligible for the following:

  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Maintenance
  • The Disabled Child Premium and the Enhanced Disability Premium (child rate).

Contact your job centre or Citizens Advice Bureau – they’ll be able to advise you in more detail.

Flexible working

You have the statutory right to ask for flexible working if you have, or expect to have, parental responsibility for a disabled child under 18 who receives Disability Living Allowance. Under the law, your employer must seriously consider an application you make, and only reject it if there are good business reasons for doing so.

  • the Benefits Adviser provides information about all benefits, including disabilities.
  • Adviceguide: run by the Citizens Advice Bureau.
  • Benefits Enquiry Line: Freephone 0800 882200. Advice and a form-completion service for some benefits.
  • Turn 2 Us: Freephone: 0808 802 2000. Benefits, grants and other help and advice.

Carers Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is extra money to help you look after your child if they have substantial caring needs. You could also get Carer’s Credit so there won’t be any gaps in your National Insurance record. Carer’s Allowance is £67.25 a week. You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for. You must be 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for your child.

Telephone: 0800 731 0297