UK Power Networks

They keep details of their most vulnerable customers on a Priority Services/Special Needs Register. Although this won’t necessarily mean they can restore your power more quickly, they can offer you additional help and support if you do experience a power cut.

The Regulated Social Fund

This fund is to help you pay for specific extra expenses arising from maternity, a funeral, periods of cold weather and winter fuel payments. (You will need to be in receipt of a qualifying benefit)


Sense is a national charity that supports and campaigns for children and adults who are Deafblind. They were established from a family support group in 1955 by parents whose children were born with rubella, and the experience, skills and views of families remain central to their work. You can see how they have developed over almost 60 years on their website. Sense offers high-quality, flexible services across the UK, using skilled staff and a dedicated network of volunteers. They work with a wide range of Deafblind and multi-sensory impaired people, as well as those who have a single-sensory impairment with additional needs. They work with children, young people, adults and older people with a progressive sight and hearing loss, offering a range of housing, educational and leisure opportunities. They also offer support to all Deafblind people in both the congenital and acquired Deafblind communities, not just those who receive direct support and services from them.


Provides access to the most up-to-date welfare rights and social welfare law information on the web.

NHS Personal and Household Finance

This site contains information on the help you can get if you have a low income. Help includes cold weather payments, which can be paid to you or the person you care for. Payments for your gas, electricity or water bills can be made directly from some means-tested benefits through schemes called Fuel Direct and Water Direct.


To hire-purchase a new adapted or standard car or electric wheelchair. (You need to be on higher rate DLA mobility to get a car).

Max Card

Max Card gives children with complex needs, friends and family a free or discounted access to some of the most exciting attractions across the UK! Save money on great days out at castles, zoos, museums and more. Each card is valid for two years and permits two adults and two children entry to participating venues.

Disabled Facilities Grant

This is a local council grant that helps towards the cost of adapting your home to enable you to continue to live there. A grant is paid when the council considers that changes are necessary to meet your needs, and that the work is reasonable and practical.

Online benefits calculators

You may also be able to get extra financial support if you already receive or are eligible for the following:

  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Maintenance
  • The Disabled Child Premium and the Enhanced Disability Premium (child rate).

Contact your job centre or Citizens Advice Bureau – they’ll be able to advise you in more detail.

Flexible working

You have the statutory right to ask for flexible working if you have, or expect to have, parental responsibility for a disabled child under 18 who receives Disability Living Allowance. Under the law, your employer must seriously consider an application you make, and only reject it if there are good business reasons for doing so.

  • the Benefits Adviser provides information about all benefits, including disabilities.
  • Adviceguide: run by the Citizens Advice Bureau.
  • Benefits Enquiry Line: Freephone 0800 882200. Advice and a form-completion service for some benefits.
  • Turn 2 Us: Freephone: 0808 802 2000. Benefits, grants and other help and advice.