UK Power Networks

They keep details of their most vulnerable customers on a Priority Services/Special Needs Register. Although this won’t necessarily mean they can restore your power more quickly, they can offer you additional help and support if you do experience a power cut.

NHS Personal and Household Finance

This site contains information on the help you can get if you have a low income. Help includes cold weather payments, which can be paid to you or the person you care for. Payments for your gas, electricity or water bills can be made directly from some means-tested benefits through schemes called Fuel Direct and Water Direct.


To hire-purchase a new adapted or standard car or electric wheelchair. (You need to be on higher rate DLA mobility to get a car).

Taking time off

If you are an employee, you have the right to unpaid time off work to deal with emergencies involving a dependent – this could be your husband, wife, partner, child, parent, or anyone living in your household as a member of the family.

WaterCare Services

WaterCare gives extra help when the supply is interrupted and can offer special tariffs. It is available to a wide range of families from nursing mothers with children under the age of one to kidney dialysis patients.

The Energy Saving Trust

Is a great one-stop-shop to get independent and impartial advice about how to save energy and money, and to find out about grants and financial help in your area.

Catholic Disability Fellowship

They raise funds to provide holidays for disabled children and respite for the parents. They provide moral and financial help for families, giving support for parents of disabled children in seeking appropriate education.


Turn2us helps people in financial need gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help – online, by phone and face-to-face through our partner organisations.



Well Child

Well Child’s Helping Hands is a unique scheme offering practical support to sick children and their families through one off home improvement projects, such as a garden or bedroom makeover.

Strongbones Childrens Charitable Trust

Strongbones provides grants to help children who have arthritis, scoliosis, brittle bone disease and all other conditions of the bone. The grants are for medical equipment, computers/software, toys, sensory equipment, short breaks away, days out and household bills. Grants are normally £250 per child, but this figure is flexible, depending on the child’s circumstances.