Counselling & support

Counselling & Support for Families with Disabled Children

When your child is seriously ill or disabled, taking care of their needs can easily become overwhelming.

And not just for you, but for siblings, grandparents and other family members too. Support is out there to help the whole family cope. You'll find detailed information about marriage, family and bereavement support throughout this page.


Most families who have a member with a disability become isolated and feel that other people do not understand the challenges and concerns the family have to face. Kith & Kids have a wide network of families who share experiences, both difficulties and joys. They do this through a regular programme of activities and parent support meetings. Kith & Kids enables every member of the family, whatever their age or ability to find support, make friends and to improve the quality of their lives.

carers allowance

Siblings can spend time with a Family Support Worker who understands what they are experiencing and talk through things that are worrying them. The Rainbow Trust can also arrange for a familiar person to collect siblings from school or stay at home with them when their parents are at hospital with their sisters or brothers.

See all Family Support

Use our directory to find lots of great organisations to support you.

Family Support

Looking after a disabled child can sometimes put pressure on the whole family. Perhaps your child’s siblings, grandparents or other family members need someone to talk to. Whatever your circumstances there is plenty of professional help available to support your family.

disabled magazines, websites and books

Having a disabled child in the family has an impact on everyone, not just parents and siblings. Grandparents find themselves in an unfamiliar and sometimes difficult situation. This guide will help you identify with some of the feelings and needs of other grandparents, as well as give a few ideas to best to support the parents/carers of a disabled child.

Personal Budgets

Family Action is a leading provider of services to disadvantaged and socially isolated families since its foundation in 1869. Working with over 45,000 children and families a year by providing practical, emotional and financial support through over 100 services based in communities across England.

Sisters & Brothers of Disabled & Special Needs Children

If your other children's day-to-day life is affected by the needs of their disabled sibling, then they are called young carers. Young carers have loads of extra support to help them in their role as a sister or brother of a disabled child.

Relationship support

Spending most of your time looking after your child’s medical and emotional needs can be tough on couples. Talking it through with a professional counsellor can really help. Don’t wait until the situation is desperate, as you might not be able to get an appointment right away.


Relate offer a range of services to help you with your couple and family relationships.


All relationships have ups and downs, but sometimes they can get a bit stuck and it’s hard to talk things through or get to a positive solution. That’s when help from a skilled couple relationship counsellor can make all the difference. Whether you are feeling things just aren’t quite right or whether you are encountering serious difficulties, we are here to listen and to support you towards a positive outcome.


Guidance and support for parents who are raising a child with special needs, life limiting condition or special educational needs (SEN). Includes parent forum.

See all Relationship Support

Use our directory to find lots of great organisations to support you.

Bereavement support

When you or your family and friends need to talk, there is help available. As well as the specialist support you can find through Sky Badger, your GP can put you in touch with local support groups, and you can also find support from your hospital, social worker or hospice.

Find Bereavement Support

Use our directory to find lots of great organisations to support you.