Our articles

Extra help… In and out of the classroom

If you're looking for extra help for a child with SEN, Dyslexia, or on the autistic spectrum you have come to the right place!

What are Special Educational Needs (SEN)?

Your child has Special Educational Needs if they have a difficulty or disability which makes learning harder for them than for other kids their age. It could be anything from dyslexia or dyspraxia, to emotional or social problems.

Levels of help

There are lots of levels of help available to your child, with a statement being right at the top. Have a conversation with your school teacher or SENCO (special educational needs co-ordinator) for advice on the level your child needs.

The educational support process is like a staircase, and your child can only move up one step at a time, if it is clear that they are not making progress with the current level of support. It can take time to get them the right support, so hang in there, and be patient.


Your child also might have SEN and be gifted in another way. This is called Dual or Multiple Exceptionality. You can find out more with some brilliant factsheets from the National Association for Gifted Children about supporting gifted kids with additional needs.

Extra help

You can get extra help if your child is affected by...

  • a lengthy stays in hospital
  • mobility issues around their school
  • or sight or hearing problems that prevent them from fully accessing the curriculum.


Our roadmap is full of specific advice and guidance for the different stages in your child's academic life.


Our directory is crammed with amazing organisations who can help with all aspects of your child's education.