Our articles

What can you do if your child’s application for assessment is turned down?

If you're dealing with special needs tribunal or an assessment of special educational needs...Get advice and help here.

There is a lot of free professional advice available throughout the whole of the UK. There are also a lot of advocates and solicitors that specialise in SEN. We suggest you talk about costs right at the outset.  Time is of the essence. Just like the application process there are tight deadlines to appeal decisions. You also have to wait a certain amount of time before you can reapply. Some things are out of your control – sadly, the chances of success vary wildly depending on your local authority and how much funding they have left in the kitty. Have a look through these guidance notes: Special Educational Needs and Disability appeals (HM Courts & Tribunals Service)

If you take professional or free expert help, we still suggest you get every document emailed, acknowledged, time stamped and sent to your home address as a hard copy.


Here is a template letter for parents who have been refused an assessment

Every Disabled Child Matters, in association with Irwin Mitchell Solicitors.

Douglas Silas Solicitors

Everything you wanted to know about the law on special educational needs but were too afraid to ask.

l change in the way that education, health and social care professionals work with families and young people.

Detailed advice about the EHCPs

Use our directory to find lots of organisations and charities with detailed advice